On Friday nights we typically stay in and make dinner together. These are some of my favorite nights. ❤️
Tag Archives: relationship stuff
to the first ever pic D posted of us on Facebook. People were still way grumpy back then about our relationship. Well…his people. My people were like omg it’s about fucking time you moved on. Only my friends “liked” the pic. Haha.
We look so different now. I remember that night vividly. D’s band was playing a show at Just John in The Grove. A bunch of my friends came out. It was a good time. We used to always go to Steak ‘n Shake after those shows, mostly because it was the only place open.
I miss my long hair. Fucking cancer. Grr.
It’s so crazy how much life can change in just four years.
Anyway…this pic makes me smile. Thanks, Facebook. You don’t always suck.
my mental health day
I woke up this morning around 5:30 am and immediately checked my phone to confirm what I already knew deep down. I saw a CNN headline that said “President Trump” and I figured I was in for a really crappy day. D was awake too, and we decided that we wanted to skip work and spend the day together. So that’s what we did.
The rundown –
- Laid around, fooled around, and finally crawled out of bed to go pick up breakfast, which we brought home and ate while watching CNN. We watched Hillary’s concession speech. I cried. Then we took a bubble bath together.
- At one point this morning D was like, “Do you want to get married today?” and I was like, “No, we should follow the original plan, but can we get a kitten?” The answer was no. Marriage…yes. More cats…absolutely not. Hahahaha. I realize I have given no context for this conversation, but I promise it wasn’t as random as it seems.
- We went to lunch where we did a bit of day drinking. I ate my feelings in the form of buffalo wings and cheese fries. Mmm.
- We were on a mission this afternoon to find a mirror for our bedroom. We started at Ashley, but that was a bust. We happened upon a Kirkland’s and found exactly what we were looking for and for an absolute steal. Btw, that place looked like Christmas had thrown up in it, which was actually awesome. D told me I have to control myself until Thanksgiving, but that I can go apeshit after. *squee*
- We made what ended up being one of three Target trips. I can’t even remember why we went to Target this first time, but I know I ended up leaving with a new Swiffer Sweeper and I was quite pleased. (This is who I’ve become…sigh).
- Went home to hang the mirror and saw a dude pull up in a Charter Cable van and I totally flipped out. I ran out there to chat him up and he told me he was installing services for the neighbor and I was like OMFG WTF I can has internet now?!! So I immediately call Charter and the rep who answered was like, “Yeah no we don’t offer service in your area.” I ran outside with my phone and was like, “Um…I’m standing next to the tech who is installing services at the house that is literally next door so that is unacceptable.” After much bitching I got it resolved and…WE WILL HAVE INTERNET ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON OMFG YES YES YES YEEEEEEESSSSS.
- Okay I think I have that out of my system for now.
- D was like, “If Trump hadn’t won, we wouldn’t have stayed home today, and we still wouldn’t know that we could have internet.” But to be honest, if Hills had won I may very well have stayed home because I would have gotten drunk as a motherfucker celebrating last night.
- Anyway…so then D hung the mirror which looks amaze and then he’s like what if we go shopping for more shit and I was like yes please and so we did. We ended up at another Kirkland’s (in Chesterfield) and bought sconces that look so good. Pics later. I’m so pleased with how our bedroom is coming together. It’s one of my fave rooms in the house. Next weekend we are getting new bedding!!!!
- We picked up the kids and came home. What I expected to be a really shitty day was actually a fantastic one and I’m so very grateful.
- Now? Hang with the kiddos until their bedtime. Then Breaking Bad & reading.
As we approach Thanksgiving, D and I have been talking about all the Thanksgivings we have spent together. It made me want to do a recap post.
This was our very first Thanksgiving together. Just the two of us. I was living in a townhouse in Ballwin. D came over with bottles of Bordeaux and Riesling, and made fun of me because I had a bottle of sweet red wine. Ha. I ordered Thanksgiving dinner from Maggiano’s, which was surprisingly delicious. We ate dinner and watched television. We ended up watching 28 Days Later, which D had never seen. We talked about divorce, and our kids, our fears for them, etc. There may have been some tears. Despite that, it was a really great night. I’ll always remember it.
We look like babies! OMG. This was just a matter of days before my bilateral mastectomy, so I was a bit of an emotional mess.
This year D had Freya, but I didn’t have Jackson. I came over to his place and helped him make dinner. It was slightly awkward because Freya was so shy and everything still felt very new and sort of strange. In fact, the morning started off a bit rough because when D’s ex dropped Freya off she (the ex) was crying. I felt so very sad for her that day. We rallied though and the three of us played Mario Kart. D and I made dinner.
Frey looks so young in this pic. I miss those little girl bangs. Sigh.
This year I had Jackson, and Freya was with her mom. I was living in an apartment in the city. D came over and spent the night. I ordered food from Maggiano’s again, upon D’s request. He got a big kick out of having a catered Thanksgiving dinner. I remember I didn’t have a phone, because I had broken mine and was waiting on a replacement. We ate food and lounged around watching movies. I think we watched Contact and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. D fell asleep on the couch.
My brother had just died the week before so I was still working through that. I remember I was quite sad, but also so thankful. Thankful to be alive. Thankful to be with my two favorite people. Thankful to have such a wonderful life.
I made arrangements with the ex to change our custody schedule so that D and I would have the kids on the same holidays as much as possible. So this was the first Thanksgiving where we had both of the kids. It was awesome! Jackson and I went over to D and Frey’s place. The kids played together (Minecraft!) while D and I made a big dinner. It was one of my favorite Thanksgivings ever. Everything felt very comfortable and normal.
This year it will be just the two of us again. We’re looking forward to making Thanksgiving dinner in our new home! We will miss the kids obviously, but we both agree that we are looking forward to it just being the two of us this year. There will be wine, yummy food, movies, and sex. I can’t wait.
actual quote from last night
Omg, babe, I just watched you pee! I feel so close to you now.
– drunk as fuck Jenn
was super fun! I love theme parties, and I love how most people committed and looked totally 80s. We got to hang with our best couple friends, meet lots of new cool people, and catch up with old friends/acquaintances we haven’t seen in several years. Oh and there was much dancing. I have become the chick who loves to dance. ❤️
We ended up getting Taco Bell on the way home, getting high, and chatting it up while we watched DMB Live at Central Park. We stayed up so late, and I can’t even remember how we got to bed. But we had a blast and I just really, really love my life.
Everything is better with him. Everything.
So I kind of hate to be that person, but holy fucking fuck I’m so happy and lucky and just ahhh.
The kids are home for the weekend. D and I laughed and danced and drank while we made dinner. Basically, things are fucking awesome and I feel like I have to continue to acknowledge how lucky I am so I don’t jinx myself.
Violet does this super adorable thing where she runs to meet me whenever she suspects I’m headed to bed. She’s super fat so this is no easy feat. I love the way it sounds when she runs across the hardwood floor. I adore her. She brings me so much joy.
Tonight I was trying to go downstairs to do laundry, and Freya grabbed ahold of me and said, “Jenn!! I love you so much. Please stay.” So of course I did. Duh. We played Emoji Pop for a good long time. I rock that game.
Today was pajama day at Jackson’s school and when I picked him up he was wearing a Chewbacca onesie. It was totes adorbs.
I received an email from Jackson’s teacher about his spelling issues, so I sat him down for some spelling work after dinner tonight. Frey helped me quiz him and helped him sound words out. She’s so sweet and patient with him. She’s an excellent big sister and I just adore her. Also, Jackson improves so quickly when he gets extra attention. He’s actually incredibly smart.
D worked late tonight so I had one on one cuddle time with the kids. ❤️
D and I had good conversation and alone time tonight. He sent a response to his parents that was just perfect. I feel so very lucky that he has chosen me to be his partner in life.
It’s almost 1 a.m. so I should probably go to sleep.